Sunday, December 17

Christmas Cookies with Mom and Rhonda

Christmas cookies originally started with Fitzy about a decade ago.  I would go over to her house, and we would make a couple different kinds of cookies and treats.  Then she moved away to Colorado for about five years and then recently moved back to Washington but lives on the other side of the state.  It made making cookies together for Christmas rather difficult.  

Over the past few years, I've been making cookies with Lindsay (she is ambitions and usually goes super overboard with the cookies), but she was going to be out of town for this Christmas.  So, I had to find someone who wanted to make cookies with me.  We were running out of days before Christmas to do it.  I asked Mom if she wanted to come over and make a few batches of cookies and she said sure.  A few days later she told me Rhonda was going to join us and what cookies we were going to make.

I made sure I had enough butter, quick oats, flour, sugar and powdered sugar, since that is what most cookies are made out of.  I bought some Hershey kisses, marshmallow fluff and some corn syrup for our more adventurous desserts.  I wanted to make no bake cookies and Ben wanted me to make him some snickerdoodles.  I also wanted to try my hand at spritzer cookies as well.

Mom planned to make her famous sugar cookies, some peanut butter blossoms, fudge and caramel popcorn. Rhonda just wanted to come over and make cookies, have fun and take some home with her.  I asked Mom what time we were going to start.  She said around 10 a.m.  I told her Ben was going to be on shift that day.  

I got out my Kitchen Aid, my cookie sheets, the silicone mats for the cookie sheets, measuring cups, spoons, my Pyrex mixing bowls and cups and mixing spoons.  I had all the sugar, brown sugar, flour, butter, etc. out so they were at our fingertips.  Mom brought a bunch of stuff as well including her stand mixer.  

As 10 a.m. approached, everyone arrived pretty much on time.  I had set up an extra table with wax paper on it for when the cookies got done.  Mom started with the sugar cookies while I popped a bunch of popcorn in the popper.  Next, we moved onto the snickerdoodles and then to the no bakes since they didn't take that long to make.  I made two batches so people could take some home.  Mom made a batch of fudge and then we finished off with the caramel corn since that was a little bit more time consuming.  




We made the dough for the spritzer cookies but I found out my cookie press was missing a bunch of pieces so we couldn't do them. (I did borrow Mom's a few days later and I think the dough was too thick after sitting in the fridge for a couple days, so the dough stuck to the cookie press.  I made a great first attempt though.)




We made a ton of cookies.  Mom mixed up the frosting in coffee mugs and handed us butter knives so we could start frosting all of the sugar cookies we made.  I think we made way too many of them.  As we got into them, I found out Rhonda sucked at frosting cookies, so I made fun of her.  We talked about an array of stuff while we iced cookies.  Most of it was about the dentist office of course.


I got out my cookie containers and we divvied out a bunch to each person.  Mom and Rhonda were going to take some to work, Mom would take some home to Dad, we set some out for Erika and Zac and I put together some for Ben and my co-worker Debbie.  We made way too many cookies.

Next Adventure:  Figgy and Russ:  The Christmas Elves

No comments: