Sunday, October 8

The Pumpkin Patch with Trish, Amy and Ed

I got a hold of Trish and asked her if she wanted to go to the pumpkin patch again this year.  She said that would be fun but asked why this early?  I told her that every weekend was filled up with stuff already and that the Sunday was the only available day to go.  She said okay. I told her Ben was on shift at the fire station on that Saturday so it would just be us coming up on Sunday and going home the same day, but no overnight this time.  I asked her if we wanted to do dinner while we were there and she said yeah, we can do dinner and suggested chili.  I asked her what we could bring, and she said some sort of dessert. I told her we would see her on Sunday.

Early afternoon on Saturday, I went over to Erika and Zac's and got some bags of sticks from when they cut down trees because I needed some more kindling for our fire pit.  It was the perfect size, and it was dry.  Erika came out a few times to hang out with me.  We ended up watching one of the homeless people have some sort of medical emergency and the ambulance and Olympia cops came out to do an assessment on them.  Erika said it was always like that and she had to call the cops often.  

When I was done, I made run to the store for a few things and called Trish really quick to ask her about some dessert options.  I had no idea what or how much to get because I didn't know if Ed was coming over or not. I quickly grabbed some brownies from Safeway on the way home.  I put the groceries away and then I mowed the back yard before it got dark. 

Ben got off of shift and once I got up, we got ready to go and jumped into the Escape and headed out.  I wasn't sure how the traffic would be, but we let Trish know we were on our way.  We actually didn't hit any traffic, and we were able to get to Bonney Lake at a decent time.  We arrived in town just after noon and we called to ask if she needed anything before we got to the house, she said she had everything.  We asked Trish which pumpkin patch we wanted to go to, and she said we could just go down the hill to Spooner's.  It was the one we went to the year before in the smoke.  Ed and his truck were there.    

It was another nice fall weekend and hit almost 80 degrees.  I was able to wear shorts again to pick out my pumpkin.  We all got ready to go and we made fun of Amy for putting on rain boots to go get a pumpkin.  We told her it was so dry that we weren't going to see any mud until it rained. She didn't care, she was going to be the weirdo who wore boots.  We all crammed into Trish's Tucson and drove down the hill into the Orting valley. 

It was busy, like we thought it might be.  The Seahawks were on a bye that week, so that might be why it was busier than it would be if they were playing that afternoon.  Either way, it was crazy, and we had to be patient.  We turned into the overflow parking and Trish nabbed the first spot she saw.  I made fun of her because she parked us near sticker bushes, so we had to watch out where we were walking.  We grabbed another person's wheelbarrow as we walked towards the entrance to go in.  We had to dodge people and cars. 

We made our way over to the rows of pumpkins and spent some time trying to find the perfect one. I picked out three, one for me, one for Mom and one for Dad because I told them I would get one for them.  Ben picked himself out one, Amy was reluctant, but eventually was a good sport about it and even got one for David.  Trish picked out a good one and Ed found one he liked. We had eight pumpkins balancing in our wheelbarrow.  I got a few pictures and Trish took a couple.  




We weaved our wheelbarrow full of pumpkins in and out of the busy walkways full of people to the weigh stations, where we stood in line for a while until it was our turn.  I admired the various produce and the different kinds and sizes of the mini pumpkins. It was our turn to finally weigh our pumpkins and we had to adjust it, so everyone got theirs weighed appropriately.  We got our tickets and went and paid at the payment shed.



We wheelbarrowed them out to Trish's Tucson.  We placed them gently in the back so they wouldn't roll.  No one wants a busted steam.  We went back because Trish wanted to slingshot tiny pumpkins into the car they had in the slingshot area.  We each put in a couple bucks and we each got to fling pumpkins into the field, trying to hit the targets.  It took some trial and error to figure out how to fling them. Once we did, it was fun watching them fly! 


We walked back to the Tucson, got through the crappy traffic and back up the hill. Ben and I transferred our pumpkins into his Edge and went inside to hang out for a little bit.  We played a couple card and dice games until we were tired of them, which was quickly playing with Ed, and Trish started in on the chili, corn bread and I helped get the salad together. 

Once the food was done, we ate, chatted about random things as we ate and thanked her for making food.  For dessert, we each had a brownie.  It was sad we couldn't stay very long but she knew we couldn't.  We had to get home and get ready for the work week just like they all did. We gave out hugs and thank yous, jumped into the Edge and headed home. It didn't take us long to get home which was nice.

We got home just before 7, did a few chores, got cleaned up and ready for bed.  I really wish the weekends were longer.      

Next Adventure:  Early Birthday/Anniversary Weekend: Lacey to Walla Walla

No comments: