Sunday, October 1

Dad's Batman Birthday Party

A couple weeks ago, I was asking Dad what kind of a birthday theme he wanted.  He said he wanted a Batman birthday party.  I told him that I could do that.  I then added, what kind of food and dessert?  He said ribs, baked potatoes with salad and chocolate cupcakes.  I told him I could also do that.  I asked Erika if she would make Batman cupcakes and she said yes.  I told everyone when the birthday party would be and what we were eating.  Everyone set aside time for that day, including Trish and Amy.   

Since we were out of town during his birthday in Spokane, I asked him if it would be okay to celebrate his birthday the following weekend and he said he didn't care.  He added, as long as we got together and ate some good food.  That week, after we got back, was really busy.  On Monday, I went out to Rainier to pick up my jerseys from Grandma Karen, Tuesday I had a half day for my chiro/massage appointment and I was able to get a few Batman decorations from Party City including masks, Wednesday was the Mariner game with Alicia, Ben was also on call at JBLM, Thursday Ben had a dentist appointment and was still on call at JBLM so he didn't go to training, Erika told us on Friday she was pregnant, which will change the course of a lot of things coming up.  I started cleaning the house on Friday just to get a head start.  Between Doug and Charlie, our house got really dirty quickly and easily.  

On Saturday, Ben had shift at the station.  I asked Mom if she needed to come into town for some shopping and she said sure.  She drove out to Lacey and met me at the house.  We hit up Costco first, followed by a Dollar Tree visit for some Batman decorations, Walmart and finally Winco.  Mom was hungry so we called Erika to see what she was doing.  She said just hanging out.  Mom asked her if she wanted to meet us for pizza at Brewery City.  She met us there, but we found out it was closed for remodel, so we went to The Rock instead.  We had gotten $50 from Walmart that someone had left in the change area of the check-out register.  I could have been anyone to be honest and no one came back for it.  We used the money to buy lunch.

We ate pizza while Erika showed us all the literature she received from the doctor's office.  We all agreed, even though two of us have not had children, that you will never be ready to raise kids no matter how prepared you think you are.  It was going to be a huge lifestyle change for everyone.  Erika went home and Mom and I went back to the house to unload groceries and put hers into her Expedition.  She went home after that, and I continued with chores.  I did some loads of laundry, worked on my blog and finished getting the house as ready as I could to lessen the things I had to do the next day.

The next day, Ben came home from shift, took a nap and we started getting as much done as we could while we watched some of the NFL games.  The Seahawks played Monday Night Football that week against the Giants in New York, so we didn't have to be stressed out watching it during the birthday party.  Ben helped me bring chairs in, I started getting the decorations up and decided that I was missing a bat signal.  I got out the construction paper and my giant Sharpie and made my own.  It actually turned out well.  Ben got the grill going and I got the baked potatoes in the oven just before 3:00.

The next hour, the food cooked, I did the little last-minute things and people started to arrive.  I got some platters ready, pulled out the potatoes, got the salad, the salad and potato fixings on the table, Ben got the ribs cut up and everyone came in, grabbed their plates and the food frenzy started.  We all sat at the table and enjoyed food while we talked about random things. 

We finished food, Erika grabbed the cupcakes, we lit one, sang happy birthday and dad blew out his candle.  He wore his Batman mask the entire time.  Haha!  I got him some Hershey's chocolate bars and some work gloves and stuck them in small reusable Batman bags.  He looked like he was having a good time.  We got in a family picture before it was time for everyone to head home since the party time was late this go around.  Dad thanked everyone for coming, everyone gave out hugs and then headed home so they could get ready for the work week.




Ben, Doug and I put the tables and chairs away, I quickly vacuumed the living room, set everything back up and Ben and I got the dishes and the kitchen cleaned up.  We got cleaned up and ready for our upcoming work week.  Man, the weekends go by so fast!

Happy Birthday Dad! 🦇

Next Adventure:  The Pumpkin Patch with Trish, Amy and Ed

No comments: