Wednesday, May 11

Career Day 2011 (May 11)

A frantic Business Ed teacher gets a hold of me and asks if I could help out during career day. Since I was involved in the school with basketball, fastpitch and other things, I told her sure, what will I be doing? She asks, don't you work at the dentist office? "Yeah, I do." "Can you help me out by being a lab tech person?" "Yeah I can do that." She told me some other stuff I should know and by that time I had to get out to practice. I walked out her door and was like, what did I get myself into? I hate speaking in front of people. Maybe it won't be that bad?

For about a month I took pictures, wrote notes of what I did when I worked at the office and gathered stuff off of the internet. I compiled it into a power point presentation and was now waiting for that Wednesday.



It's funny to look back when I was in high school and remember the first time we did career day when I was a freshman (98-99) and back then I never ever thought I would be coming back and speaking in front of kids at my former high school.

I arrived and got my schedule. I spoke once and at the end of the day. I hung out with Megan Fitz for a while until she had to go speak about athletic training, I saw Dr. Kay, Marissa Madrid and many others. I even saw Megan Sullivan, who I haven't seen since 2003. I spent most of the afternoon talking to her and catching up. It was nice seeing her after all those years. We had lunch and the minutes went by slow and I was getting nervous. That's probably the worst part, waiting to go. I just wanted to get it done and out of there. I found out our scheduled fastpitch game with White Pass was canceled and that we were going to have practice in the gym. Finally my time rolled around. I didn't know how the computer was set up so I had one of the kids help me. Then I rattled off my power point. At the end, I gave all the kids toothpaste samples and the overseeing teacher told me I did a great job and she thought I've given lots of speeches before. Haha, I hate giving presentations. I guess I might be better at it then I think I am.

However, I still hate it.

No comments: