Tuesday, January 15

Covington, Washington

I got up around 7 and started getting my stuff together to go to Covington with Bob for the day.  I got my cereal and orange juice and I headed out the door.  Bob was in the driveway.  It was going to be another cold day.

We got to Covington in a short amount of time and got right into it.  We grabbed about 12 of them in about an hour and a half around the south part of town.  We went on a short mini walk and got about 5 of them.


 We came back into town and did the northern part of Covington.  We did lots of lamp skirt caches.  The Walmart and the Lowes both had two caches each.  We drove over to Jenkin Creek Park and saw the bridge on the west end was down so we had to go to the other parking coord on the east side.




One of the caches in the park was near the pond.  It was being found but hasn't since the fall.  We gave it a try.  For some reason we were having a hard time looking for it.  We went for another and came back to it about 15 minutes later.  We called Bev to see if we could get a hint because Mike found it a while back.  We did not hear from them so we tried one more time.  It was on one of the pieces of bark Bob threw out from underneath the log.  I just happen to check the back of it when I was checking again.  We called Bev back and told her we found it.  

We got back in the truck and Bob declared it lunch time.  We drove back into town to the McDonalds.  We got chicken sandwiches and I ate my sandwich and chips as we sat in the truck deciding where to go to next.  I found a spot of about 15.  It was northeast of town.  We drove over and found a few before we had a stretch of DNF's.  

The DNF's were killing us!  Almost to the point where it wasn't fun anymore because we were wasting our time and precious daylight.  We had to pass up I think 5 caches that weren't there.  We moved onto a small trail along a pipeline.


There were a lot of patches of ice along the trail that had a few no trespassing signs but that didn't stop Bob and I.  There were 4 caches along the pipeline and all of them were covered in frozen large maple leaves.  We had to literally dig a cache out of the pile of leaves.  We grabbed the furthest one away from the car and headed back.  It was actually sunny outside and we got warm walking to the last one before the truck.

We moved on to a different area and found a few more before heading to one that used to be really hard to get to but because of the recent construction it was pretty easy.  If you went the wrong way you could get very wet shoes and socks.  


It was getting colder and our daylight was slowly disappearing.  We headed south of town and found ourselves at a small park in an expensive neighborhood.  There, I found a dollar and found a cache we could not sign because it was stuck in a hole and we had no tools that would remove it.  We took a quick nature walk for an ammo can and then found ourselves at Morton Lake, where I could not help myself.  I had to throw a rock at the lake with the layer of ice on top of it.  It made this weird echo-ie thwak sound.  It made a hole in the ice but the rock did not sink, instead it rested on top.


We made our way out towards Hwy 18 down a very busy road.  We grabbed about 5 more before it got dark and the traffic got worse.  


   We ended our caching adventure at a mansion right off of the highway.   I can't believed I never saw it from all the times I've driven past it in the last few years.



We drove home with 35 more caches under our belt and we learned more about the Covington area.  We took a few pictures of Mount Rainier as we were stuck in 167 traffic.


Next adventure:  Maple Valley, Wash.


No comments: