Tuesday, October 16

Longview, Kelso and Kalama

I should stop reading before I go to bed because I get too wrapped up in the stories and time gets away from me.  I end up going to bed after 1 a.m.  Then to top it off, I get a phone call at 8 in the morning from Bev asking if I wanted to go with them to Longview/Kelso/Kalama today.  In my mind, I need to get a cache today to finish up my "cache every day for a year" challenge.  I will be done on November 17.  Almost a month from now.  Of course I said yes to her.  She said her and Bob would be here at nine to pick me up.

In the 45 minutes before they got here, I got ready, put some snacks together, swept the floor, gave the chickens some water and cleaned the cat box.  Just like clock work, Bob and Bev were in the driveway waiting for me.  They said they would have called me the night before so I could prepare, but had no idea how the weather was going to cooperate.  I hate rain.

We stopped at one of the gas stations off of exit 68 so they could use the restroom.  They had to buy a candy bar to use the facilities.  Bev came out and told me, "it cost me two dollars to use the restroom."  I just laughed.  We couldn't use the Toutle reststop because it's still closed.  We have no idea why or when it will be open (I tried looking it up on WSDOT, no info).  We still gotta get the new cache northbound.

We got to our exit.  Let the caching begin!

Our first few were just north of Longview.  It was hard to navigate because Bob and Bev had most of them from the cache machine last June.  Bob still has to learn to be patient when we drive around and cache.  We are not perfect and we can't just make things happen at an instant.  We found a bunch of caches by bearsandme.  We've been finding them a lot lately.  I'm glad they are very enthusiastic cache placers.  Once again, we found a lot of cute and fun caches.  We headed out near a pond/lake with the view of Longview, the cache had something to do with a frog and to watch out for blackberry vines.  One of those blackberry vines grabbed my leg and threw me down on the ground.  I almost hit my head on the sidewalk.


We headed into the actual town of Longview.  Those streets suck!  They have crazy triangles and one way roads that aren't marked very well.  We went to a park to find a nano.  It hasn't been found in a month and we wanted to change that. We approached the GZ and was welcomed by a man and his pug. Across the street was an orange cat. We saw the dog run across the street and intercepted the cat. We thought a brawl was about to happen. Instead, they were best friends and froliced down the parking lot. We walked over to where the coords put us and started looking. We noticed that "Bob wuz here," which indeed, Bob wuz here helping us look for the cache. A few minutes later I had it in hand, signed it and put it back where we found it.


The theme for today must have been Bob.  We found a store called Bob's and a cache was even located there.  After we found the cache we went into the store.  It kind of reminded us of Sunbird's, popcorn and all.


We hit a few places where we DNF'd and a few places where we had a hard time finding the darn caches.  After a good run of 8 or so we were near a Walmart with a Subway in it.  We used the bathrooms, washed our hands and stood in the long line for a turkey sub.  We ate our food in the car while it rained a little.  We grabbed a few more before having trouble finding one Bob and Bev didn't have.  We found the one near the 9/11 statue, which is the second one we've visited this year, and headed over the river and south of Kelso.


Nestled up against of the Cowlitz, were the next four on our list.  We were near the golf course so two of them had something to do with golf.  One was a nano shoved inside a golf ball and it was hell getting it out, even with tweezers.  We grabbed the rest of them by the river and we moved on to Kalama.


Headed down I-5 and stopped to get a few at an exit where Bob and I used the "outdoor" bathroom during one of our trips to Portland.  We grabbed two here.  Got back on the freeway and got off at the Kalama exit and grabbed one at a gas station that looked like it was under construction.  We drove along the Port of Kalama and to the small park that hugs up against the Columbia River.  There were 5 caches but only 3 of them were there.  I wish people would fix their caches or archive them for new ones to be placed...

While we were there doing the traditional, multi and earthcache, a huge carrier boat went by.  We assumed it contained cars since the side of it said Honda.


The multi and earthcache were pretty cool.  Both of them contained the large totem pole in its cache description.  It is the largest/tallest totem pole in the world (one piece).  We all took our pictures with it before heading back to the car for a few more.




I hate to say this but we did end on a DNF that day.  We are really embarrassed.  We should have found the one near the Kalama sign but no luck for us today.  We looked everywhere...

It started getting dark and so we started heading home.  We stopped in Centralia and had Wendy's for dinner.  My parents went to Harold's for mom's birthday dinner.  My mom turned 52 on October 16th.

Next adventure:  TBA

No comments: